Come Wednesday morning, half the electorate is going hate the President and either the House or the Senate. That hating half believes the other half is the very embodiment of evil in our land.
A rational diagnosis of the situation should lead you to conclude that we don’t have one country anymore; we have at least two: Bluemerica and Rederica.
These are two very different countries with two very difference sets of people.
- The government and rich people are responsible for your health, wealth and housing
- Big corporations are evil, big government is good
- The government should allow gays, lesbians, transgenders and bisexuals to marry just as it allows heterosexuals to marry
- White males are oppressors, women and people of color are oppressed.
- The more money you earn, the greater the percentage of your earnings belong to the government
- Guns are immoral
- Capital punishment is immoral; abortion is not
- God is irrelevant
- Most drugs should be legal
- You are responsible for your own health, wealth and housing
- Big government is evil, big corporations are good
- The government should allow only heterosexuals to marry
- If you’re not a criminal, you have nothing to fear from increased police powers
- If you make a lot of money wearing a suit, you are probably not a criminal.
- If you are a black male, you are probably are a criminal.
- If you served time in the military, you are a hero, (especially if you killed a lot of non-white people in another country.)
- Gun-ownership is not merely a right, it is a requirement in a free society
- Abortion is immoral, capital punishment is not
- God is on our side
- Most drugs should be illegal
As for me, I’m kinda screwed, because I think both of those places are Crazyland. I want to live in Freemerica, where there are only two laws:
- Self-ownership: This means that each individual has the sole and exclusive right to decide what to do with his or her own life, time and property.
- Non-aggression: This means that if you commit an act of aggression against anyone else’s life, time and property, you are legally subject to a forceful and proportionate response.
- You are responsible for your own health, wealth, housing and food.
- You are free to enter into any contract of any kind to deliver any good or any service with any other people you wish, provided those contracts do not violate either of the two laws.
- You can create any organization of any size to do anything you want, as long as it doesn’t violate either of the two laws.
- The government has no say in marriage
- You can think or say anything about anyone, as long as you do not violate either of the two laws. (Saying something “mean” about someone is not an act of aggression.)
- You can think whatever you want about God, drugs, guns, gays or whatever, just as long as you do not violate either of the two laws.
- You can build and sell any product or service you wish, so long as you do not engage in fraud or extortion. (Fraud and extortion violate the Law of Non-aggression.)
So on Tuesday, will you vote for Rederica, Bluemerica or Freemerica. I want to know.